Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Caped Crusader {part one}

So one of the major trends that we're seeing everywhere for fall and winter is the cape. And I LOVE this trend! There are so many different personas that can be taken on in a cape. There are lady-like capes, preppy tweed capes, east-coaster toggle button capes....I want them all. One of the best features of the cape is that you can layer like crazy underneath, but you won't feel any of the limited arm motion that you get when you try and shove a cable-knit sweatered arm down the sleeve of a classic pea coat! Take a look at these gorgeous pieces...some pricy, some not!

{Kylie Minougue in tweed cape, image from People}









Now this blog is a two-parter as I have yet to find my perfect cape. Part of the reason is because it's been unseasonably hot and humid in DC, and I haven't been able to get in the mind-set of outerwear shopping. But November is near.....as is pay day....and I think this weekend will be dedicated to finding just the right cape. {That's after I go trick-or-treating with my nieces and nephews, of course!}

A cape can be a wonderful alternative to your everyday coat or jacket, but let's not forget that the cape is a slippery slope. The longer the cut and thinner the fabric, the closer to the Dracula look that you get. For that reason, look for a cape in a thick wool, cut somewhere between the waist and just above the knee. While Halloween is just around the corner, you don't want people to think you're wearing a costume while you stroll down the street!

No comments:

Post a Comment