Sunday, September 19, 2010

Get Cozy

I've said it a million times before, and I'm sure I'll say it another million times in my life....I LOVE LAYERING! This is probably the reason that I love fall so much, as it's pretty tough for me to layer in the summer (read: I get sweaty easily....over-share?) THE staple in my closet for layering- cardigans! One of my favorite trends for the fall is the big, blanket style cardi. You can wear them with leggings, jeans, skirts, belted, not.....the possibilities are endless. But unlike the possibilities, my budget is limited.  

But a girl can dream....enter Missoni and Stella McCartney
{Missoni blanket sweater on the runway, image via InStyle}

{Stella McCartney chunky knit cardi on the runway, image via InStyle}

Something a tad bit more affordable than knits right off the runway? J.Crew!


Missoni has been a mainstay in the fashion world since the late 1940's, and their zigzag print knitwear is iconic and instantly recognizable. Check out Joy Bryant in this adorable look, topped off with a black, white, and grey Missoni blanket cardigan.

{Image courtesy of InStyle}

I'm also in love with this similar style from Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent....but not so in love with the nearly $475 price tag.


But once again, J.Crew to the rescue with a much less expensive version...about $130!


I love the style of this girl-on-the-street. A long coat with a chunky knit underneath, so cozy!


One way to make your dollar go farther? Buy items that can do double duty. Instead of a chunky knit scarf, why not try a chunky knit vest, (like this stunner below). It will fit well under a heavy coat, but will also look great belted over a long, silky top. And the slightly higher price tag is an easier pill to swallow when you know you can wear it more than one way :-)

{Ella Moss Antwerp Cable Knit Vest, about $180, from Piperlime}

This sweater is, by far, my dream piece. I love it. I can't even muster up more words....this cardigan renders me speechless. And the cost makes my jaw drop. $500......bummer. 


While I hold out for Christmas to roll around....(hint, hint Thompy!)....this look-alike will have to do. While it doesn't include the longer side pieces like the 12th Street version, I love the rounded hem. I'm never a huge fan of something that cuts straight across the biggest part of my hips or thighs, so this is a great detail! The chunky cable knit details at the collar and bust are so cozy, and at $60 you can afoord to get one in every color!.......bring on the over-the-knee riding boots and I'm ready to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment