Thursday, September 23, 2010

DIY: Necklace Trends

Anyone who knows me understands my penchant for crafting. I mean, I have a craft cart in my bedroom that houses all of my supplies (sewing machine included).  So naturally, when I see something I want, the words "oh, I can make that" often come out of my mouth. Sometimes, this turns out to be a total disaster.....but in other cases, my DIY projects work out.  And this little undertaking was one of those success stories.

I spotted this necklace in the Anthropologie catalogue not too long ago, and I fell in love. But if I'm not willing to spend $200 on an article of clothing, then I'm certainly not going to spend it on a necklace!


So instead, I headed to my local craft store and picked up the supplies I would need to create my own version. 


A little snipping, and a few jump rings....


...and I've got a hand-made version that's perfect for me...for only $25!!!


Clearly this design is Booter approved :-)

Now of course I couldn't stop with just one DIY necklace. Once I finished my lacey piece, I was on a roll and I wanted to keep going. I've also had my eye on quite a few Hive and Honey pieces on Piperlime

{Left: Metal Woven Chain Necklace, about $30, Right: Mist Layer Necklace, about $60}


While the price tags on H&H's awesome pieces are much-less cringe inducing (about $30-$80), you can always spend less by doing it yourself. By purchasing a $3 chain and taking apart an old necklace that I never wear....



I've got this chain-link beauty that's totally on-trend and practically free!




Projects like this are much easier than they seem. All you need is a good chain, some jump rings for connecting the pieces to the chain, and then whatever you want to use to adorn the chain. (Think about repurposing old pieces of jewelry that you don't use anymore) Be sure you have a pair of needle-nose pliers, and some hot glue for emergencies....
Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

  1. I hope one of these are headed my way in the form of a birthday package. K thanks bye. :)

    ReplyDelete