Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cargo Chic

I'll be the first to admit that I rocked a pair of cargo pants in the seventh grade, and thought I was totally "in" with my wardrobe. Thank god my seventh grade baggy cargos (with hammer loop!), wouldn't fit the bill with this years trend...incredibly un-sexy. This season, slim is in and hammer loops are for construction workers only.
Check out these flirty, feminine cargo looks on Leighton and Victoria.

{Leighton Meester in AG Adriano Goldschmied, image via Lucky}

{Victoria Beckham, image via Instyle}


One of the reasons that I'm embracing the cargo trend is that I'm in desperate need of a jean substitute these days, especially now that the weather is getting chilly. I wear denim more days a week than I care to admit and now there is finally a pair of pants that is just as versatile as my dark-wash toothpick ankle jeans. And I love the fatigue-green color and how it's plays off the oh-so-in military trend. Here are a few versions on the pricier end. 


Love the moto-cross style stitching under the knees on this pair!

The ankle zippers on this (more affordable) pair are a great detail!

{Free People Skinny Military Pants, about $100, via Piperlime}

Now I don't want to toot my own horn.....but I had THE most gratifying day of shopping yesterday that I have ever had in my life. Not only did I pick up 2 pairs of boots for under $150 combined (a post about those is coming later!), but I found the best pair of skinny cargos for a price that allowed me to treat myself to lunch after....Penne Rosa at Noodles & Co., whoop whoop.

Now I have a very specific lower-body (read: big butt), and it's important to make sure that there are actual pockets on the back of my pants. The little slash pockets straight across the top of my cheeks just aren't flattering....at all. So I needed to find a pair of skinny cargos that satisfied my need to camouflage my rear end. 




Now I know what you're thinking, and I couldn't believe it either. I found the perfect pair of skinny cargos in a store that I haven't set foot into since 2001. But sometimes finding a great deal means looking in the most unexpected places. 
These pants have so many great details....the moto-cross stitching under the knees, perfectly-proportioned side pockets, ankle zippers.....and ass-minimizing back pockets, all for only $60! 
Hallelujha!
Plus, the super-light cotton & spandex blend fabric makes the pants thin enough that I can roll up the bottoms (even with the zippers!) and wear them cuffed with my grey oxford booties.
Can you tell I'm excited?

2 comments:

  1. i came across this post while googling skinny cargos, and i actually just bought the American Eagle Pair! They're great, but i need some advice on how to wear them.. The material is thin, and they are very fitted/tight on my butt, and all over my legs. Do i need to wear a long top to cover my butt? Or can i wear a loose, cropped top or just any regular sweater/top? (i am 5'7", about 130ish? lbs and my butt is not very big) This is my first pair of "jeggings" and any ideas on how to wear them would be great! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment! When I bought these pants, I was thinking I was going to be wearing them with longer tops because they were tight on my butt. However, after wearing them for about half a day, they relaxed a bit and I felt much better about wearing something a little bit shorter on top. My rule of thumb is to always balance out your outfit, so if you're wearing something tighter on the bottom, keep the top a bit flowy...but don't go too long with the flowiness! You don't want to look like you're wearing jeggings under a mumu :-)
    Thanks for reading and keep the comments coming!

    ReplyDelete